Panel discussion in New York, 9 April 2010
The Rule of Law Unit is organizing a panel discussion on strengthening the nexus between international criminal justice and national capacity to combat impunity, as part of a dialogue with Member States on rule of law at the international level.
The event will take place on Friday, 9 April, from 10:00-13:00 at UN Headquarters in Conference Room 4, North Lawn Building.
Panelists include Mr. Paul Seils, Chief, Rule of Law and Democracy Unit, Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, Mr. David Tolbert, President, International Center for Transitional Justice, Mr. Jim Goldston, Executive Director, Open Society Justice Initiative, Ad Litem Judge Kimberly Prost, International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia, and Dr. Vasuki Nesiah, Director, International Affairs and Lecturer, International Studies, Brown University.
The discussion will be chaired by H.E. Mr. Baso Sangqu, Ambassador and Permanent Representative of South Africa to the United Nations.
The following key issues will be examined, followed by a facilitated discussion including questions and answers:
- How can the UN and its partners better support Member States to combat impunity, particularly at the national level?
- What are the lessons learned and good practices in this field to date?
- What steps, if any, are needed to improve UN policy, capacities and support to the field?
- Are there ways to better align initiatives at the international criminal justice level with overall efforts to strengthen rule of law assistance to Member States in this field?
- How should progress made on incorporating women’s and children’s rights considerations into international efforts to combat impunity be better supported in this field?
- What steps can be taken to ensure that national capacity building in this field is coordinated and mutually reinforcing of overall efforts to strengthen the rule of law in relevant countries?
- Are there practical steps that Member States, the UN system and other partners can take to strengthen coordination and coherence in this area?
- What steps can be taken to enhance UN cooperation with international actors, regional organizations and other expert networks?
- Are there ways that efforts related to strengthening the ICC can help in developing coherent approaches to support national capacity building?
All are invited to attend. For non-UN staff who wish to attend, please rsvp to Ms. Rachel Stein-Holmes, Rule of Law Unit (email: email@example.com) by 4 April 2010. Non-UN staff will need to bring identification and enter via the white security tent on 1st Ave. and 46 St.